brussels sprouts, garlic, gluten free, lemon, romanesco broccoli, seasonal, soup, vegan, vegetables
I lovingly refer to this soup as “Lean Mean Green Soup.” Why you ask? The holidays are over which means most of us are trying to push the restart button on our diets, our loved ones have gone home and here in Salt Lake the inversion has set in and we are all getting sick. In an effort to ward off the dreaded cold/flu and the seasonal depression that comes out of no where in January, I whipped up this soup which is loaded with vitamins and minerals and is vegan and gluten-free. Most of the time we eat for pleasure sometimes we need to eat for our heath, lucky for all of us this Roasted Brussels Sprout and Romanesco Soup w/ Leeks supports both. Here’s to a happy healthy 2013, ENJOY!
*This soup is perfect if you are on a New Years cleanse or eating clean, if not add your favorite local cheese and you’ll have yourself a ‘broccoli cheese’ soup!
Roasted Brussels Sprout and Romanesco Soup w/ Leeks- makes a big ‘ol pot
2 leeks, cleaned and chopped (don’t use the fibrous ends)
2 c. celery chopped
2 lbs. brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and cut in half
2 lbs. romanesco, cleaned, stalk and leaves removed and cut into chunks
10 small garlic cloves, pulled away from the bulb but left in skins
2 T. olive oil (I used ghee)
4 c. organic low sodium veggie broth (homemade is best)
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper (I used pink pepper)
Lemon olive oil (if you don’t have use regular olive oil and a squeeze of fresh lemon)
Fresh chopped parsley and cilantro
a sprinkle of real salt or celtic salt and pink pepper (you can use regular pepper)
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. On one baking sheet place the prepared brussels sprouts, on the other place the chopped romanesco. Drizzle both with just a bit of olive oil and sprinkle w/salt and pepper.
2. Prepare the garlic, place the 10 small cloves still in their skins but pulled away from their bulb in a piece of tin foil big enough to wrap up. Place this foil packet on one of the baking sheets. Place the brussels sprouts, romanesco and garlic foil packet in the oven and roast for 25 minutes.
3. After that 25 minutes remove the brussels sprouts and romanesco from the oven, turn off heat and leave the garlic packet in the oven for another 15 minutes. Remove and set aside until cool enough to handle, then remove the roasted garlic from their skins, discard the skins and reserve the garlic to be used in the soup.
4. Heat your favorite soup pot over medium heat. Add 2 T. olive oil and the leeks, stir and season with salt and pepper. When the leeks begin to soften and get fragrant add the celery, stir to combine and season with a bit more salt and paper. After 5-7 minutes add the roasted brussels sprouts, romanesco and garlic. Stir to combine. Add the veggie broth, water and bay leaf. Bring mixture to a boil, turn heat down to low, place the lid on the pot and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. When the soup has simmered for 20 minutes pull pot off the heat. Let cool just a bit. Working in batches puree the soup and return it to the soup pot. Keep warm or eat immediately. Check for seasoning, garnish and EAT!
Brussels Sprouts: Brussels sprouts are loaded with vitamin K which promotes healthy bones, prevents calcification of the body’s tissues and serves as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent, essential for proper brain and tissue function. One cup of brussels sprouts contain 161% of our daily dose RDA of vitamin C which ensures a healthy immune system. They also contain over 20% of our RDA for vitamin A which also helps boost our immune systems. One cup of brussels sprouts contains almost 25% of our RDA for folate. A biochemical event called methylation cycle relies folate to properly transcribe DNA, transform norepinephrine into adrenalin as well as transform serotonin to melatonin. (Translation- keeps us feeling happy!)
Romanesco: Helps fight viral infections, protects from free radicals, improves healing, HELPS PROTECT FROM COLDS AND FLU, reduces depression.
*My other favorite go to immune boosting soup is my Homemade Chicken Soup