When I was a kid my parents had a pretty good size garden and rhubarb was one of the items that grew in that garden. Well, I loved the sour taste of anything back then and still do, so when I saw rhubarb at the Farmer’s Market this week I just knew what I had to make my moms Rhubarb Coffee Cake. This is one of those recipes that just takes me back and it was perfect for the Slow Food Potluck this weekend and also for my father-in-law Big Bill for father’s day. Thanks for the recipe mom, Enjoy!
-Rhubarb Coffee Cake-
1 1/4 c. brown sugar (I used 3/4 c. agave)
1/2 c. butter (I used Earth Balance butter, that’s just what I had in the fridge)
1 tsp- 1 T. vanilla (I used 1 T.) *update- 5/12/12 added 1 tsp. almond extract
2 c. flour (I used organic whole wheat pastry flour) *update- 5/12/12, 1c. whole wheat pastry flour, 1/2c. almond meal, 1/2c. coconut flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. buttermilk
2-3 c. rhubarb (I used 2 c.) outer layer peeled and diced
*optional 1/2 c.- 1 c. nuts (I used 1/2 c. sliced almonds)
1/2 c. sugar (I used organic sugar cane)
2 tsp. Cinnamon
Preheat oven 375 degrees
1. Cream together butter and brown sugar (or agave). Beat in egg and vanilla.
2. Mix dry ingredients, flour, salt, and baking soda. Add half of the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and mix to combine. Next, add all of the buttermilk and mix to combine. Add remaining dry ingredients, stir in and mix completely.
3. Stir in rhubarb and nuts (if using).
4. Butter a 13×9 baking dish and pour the batter into the buttered dish. Mix the topping ingredients together in a bowl and spoon over the prepared batter.
5. Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool a bit before cutting into it.
Yay! Thanks for this recipe, Brooke. My sweet neighbor brought a bunch of rhubarb over to me this morning and I had no idea what to with it! Can't wait to try this recipe!-Jessica
Great! I hope you, Jay and Remi enjoy it. It was a favorite when I was a kid, and is still a favorite today. So nice meeting you and I look forward to future chats. B