This is what I made for my lunch this week, it’s light fresh and taste amazing. This recipe makes alot so make it the beginning of the week for something quick out of the fridge or make it for your next get together. P.S. My picture isn’t the best but don’t judge this book by it’s cover, try it you’ll love it.
-Broccoli Chop Salad- serves 6-8
2 heaping c. fresh broccoli
2 heaping c. fresh cauliflower
1 heaping c. fresh peas (FM) you could use frozen
1 c. chopped celery
2 medium granny smith apples, cored and diced
1/4 c. – 1/2 c. diced purple onion (depending on how much you like)
2/3 c. raw sunflower seeds
1/4 c.- 1/2 c. blue cheese or Gorgonzola
1/2 c. raisins, dried cranberries or tart dried cherries
crispy bacon (I didn’t add the optional ingredients and for the bacon I use something called Organic Smoky Tempeh ‘tem-pay’ Strips. Tempeh is an Indonesian word meaning tender cooked legumes, this one is made with organic soybeans and organic brown rice. I know what your thinking but you fry it up like bacon and in this dish you can’t tell the difference. It’s also good in place of bacon on a BLT)
1. Usually I use all the ingredients raw but this time I decided to blanch the broccoli, cauliflower and peas one at a time for maybe one minute each and then quickly dropped them into a ice cold water mixture in the sink. You decide.
2. Whether your using the veggies raw or blanched chop the broccoli and the cauliflower into rough bite size pieces and toss into a big bowl.
3. Next add the peas, then the chopped apples, celery and purple onion. Toss all together lightly.
4. If using the optional ingredients add them now, wait to toss with the dressing.
1 c. mayo, (I use veganaise…LOVE it! I’ve never tried this but you could add plain yogurt)
1/4 c. rice wine vinegar
2 tsp. agave
salt and pepper to taste
1. Mix all together in a bowl with a whisk or fork.
2. Pour half over the veggie mixture and toss lightly, add the rest of the dressing and the sunflower seeds. Toss to coat. Refrigerate at least one hour before serving, good for 4-5 days. Enjoy.